The Whiskey Chronicles (in Buenos Aires)

The Whiskey Chronicles (in Buenos Aires)

Friday, April 01, 2005

Beyond Bolivia

When Dana first told me - about a year ago - that moving to Bolivia might be an option for us, I had to plead almost complete ignorance about the country. I really knew just two things:

1. Bolivia is one of South America's only land-locked countries. (The other, for you Jeopardy fans, is Paraguay).

2. Bolivia is where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were killed after fleeing Argentina. I really need to see that movie again.

I doubt you were in any better shape when we finally told you our plans. Even in the midst of political turmoil here - the President did threaten to resign twice in two weeks, after all - I received an email from an editor in the U.S. saying "We can't run two Bolivia stories in one week. That's just too much."

So, as a result, I've had to branch out a bit. If you click on the title above you'll read my first take on a presidential summit that took place in Venezuela earlier this week.

And on a personal note, Dana and I just returned from a long Easter weekend in Bolivia's wine country. I'll try to post an update on that with some photos in the coming days. Keep checking back.